Wednesday 4 March 2015

Normality

Anon., student
Trigger warning - self harm

A lot people in the college don't actually know me. So first I am a 23 year old girl, a single mum to a 2 year old girl and a full time career to my 27 year old brother as well as full time student..

I was diagnosed with depression when I was 14, I was self harming. I started self harming on my legs as no one would be able to see then I started on my arms. I started self harming when my sister had died in a car accident as I felt there was no one listening to me and hurting myself released any pain I had for a few minutes.

This carried on until I was 16, I never told anyone. No one knew the pain I was going through until I attempted suicide at 16  - I cut myself so deep I was lucky I didn't cut an artery and this is when I started getting help. My family was great and understanding. I spent 5 months in a unit until I had got the help I needed. This is when I had to start telling my friends because they didn't know where I had been.

I got through the depression. I went on to finish my leaving certificate and have a beautiful little girl. But just before I found out I was pregnant I became full time career to my half brother who has multiple disabilities - he has epilepsy, serve autism and a heart problem. This was difficult. It triggered me to start self harming again while dealing with my brother and feeling I had no help. I took the first step by speaking to a counsellor before it got too serious as I realised it wasn't just about me anymore.

I than fell pregnant and became a single mum as well as carer. Even though being a single mum was hard it was probably the best thing because not alone did I have to look after myself and my brother I now had a baby to deal with. But I have managed. I have learn to juggle college, motherhood and being a carer. I still see my therapist on a monthly basis. But my routine has saved me. College gives me a few hours a day on my own with normal conversation.

The message is don't suffer alone. Get help before it's too late. Always talk to someone, there is always someone to listen to you.





1 comment:

  1. you are an amazing young lady be very proud of yourself :)

    ReplyDelete